Villa Olier is an independent retirement residence for Sulpician priests. The residents form a Sulpician community and support one another by mutual consideration, fraternal presence, and prayer. Their prayer also supports other confreres, both in the United States and around the world.
Originally called St. Charles Villa, the center opened on February 15, 1971. It was rededicated as Villa Olier on September 20, 2016. Originally designed for twenty residents, the Villa was built with Sulpician funds on property that belonged to St. Charles College (later St. Mary’s Seminary College).
In June 1999, the Sulpician Province completed its first extensive renovation of the Villa, and it was rededicated on June 29 of that year. In 2004, the carport was rebuilt, and not long afterward, the Provincial Council added a wing to the Villa that contains a fitness center with a lap pool. The fitness center was competed in 2005. A new entrance was completed in early 2017.
Most residents of the Villa live in modest suites that each consist of a living room, a small bedroom, and a private bath with a shower. Along with the pool and fitness center, the Villa includes a private chapel, a Florida room, a communications room, a library, a common room, a kitchen and an interior courtyard/patio.
Did You Know?
Fr. Jean-Jacques Olier, born to a wealthy family in 1608, was a well-educated young man whose miraculous cure from deteriorating eyesight pointed him away from the ranks of the aristocratic clergy and toward priestly service to God and the poor. His interactions with Church luminaries like St. Vincent de Paul, Charles de Condren, and Mother Agnes of Jesus (St. Agnes of Langeac) drew him into the center of a movement for spiritual renewal and religious reform in France.