Schneider, Father Edwin
1974, September 21
Date of Birth: 1899, August 6
Edwin Schneider was born in Crafton, Pennsylvania, in the diocese of Pittsburgh, on August 6, 1899. From 1906 to 1918 he attended the Crafton Public Grade and the Crafton Public High Schools. Before he entered St. Charles College in Catonsville, Maryland, in 1920, he did some military service. He graduated from St. Charles College in 1925. He went to St. Vincent’s Seminary in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, for his Philosophy. He also took one year of Theology there before coming to St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore in 1928. In 1929 he received his B.A. from St. Mary’s and in 1930 his M.A. He spent his deacon year as a Solitaire in Catonsville. He was ordained for the Diocese of Pittsburgh on June 11, 1931.
From 1931 to 1934, Father Schneider taught Mathematics and Science at St. Charles College. In 1934 he went to the University of Notre Dame in Indiana as a graduate student in Chemistry. He attained his M.S. at Notre Dame in 1937. From Notre Dame he went to St. Joseph’s College in Mountain View, California, to teach Chemistry. He returned to St. Charles College in 1943 to teach Science, Mathematics, and German. Although he retired in 1969, he taught classes at Mount de Sales Academy in Catonsville until just before his death. When the Sulpician Retirement Home, St. Charles Villa, opened in 1971, Father Schneider was one of its first residents. He died on September 21, 1974.